Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
HSC IV Journal Club Announcements
- Because it is a Zoom session, we will not require students to wear white coats and ID badges, Students are required to wear semi-professional attire.The rubric has been modified because of this change. See the modified rubric on the rubric page of this guide.
- HSC IV - Journal Club Article selection due on Monday, January 13, 2021 at 5 pm. Email your choice to Prof. McEwen
- HSC IV Journal Club Session - Friday, January 22, 2021 from 1-3 pm
- PPC II Journal Club Session - Thursday, April 15, 2021 from 8-10 am
Help Session Information
- HSC IV Journal Club Help Session:
- Zoom information in AIMS
- PPC II Journal Club Help Session:
- Tuesday, April 13th 12-1 pm
- Informal session. Come with your questions about your article or about the article in general.
- Zoom information in AIMS
PPC II Small Group Journal Club Presentation Instructions
- Small group information, article information, small group leader contact information, and Zoom information can be found in the PPC II course AIMS sites.
- For PPC II, your small group leader will choose your journal club article. All articles will focus on obesity.
- Everyone must participate in the oral presentation. You can divide the oral presentation however your group would like.
- Groups are not permitted to use PowerPoint/Prezi slides for their presentation.
- You can work on your presentation and discuss the article with your group using a journal club AIMS collaboration site.
- You will want to practice your presentation with your group prior to the journal club session.
- Bring your journal article to the session. You may have notes. Handouts are optional. If a group provides a handout, your small group leader(s) will provide the group formative (ungraded) feedback on the quality of the handout. There is an example of a handout in the assignment folder in AIMS.
How is the HSC IV Journal Club Assignment Different from the HSC I Presentation?
- Your group must choose article for this presentation. Article requirements are:
- The article is a randomized control trial on humans
- The article was published in the last 5 years
- The article was published in the United States, Canada, or Europe
- The article is the not listed in the articles to avoid list on AIMS (resources folder --> assignments folder --> journal club folder)
- **First come, first served for article choice. Email your article information to Professor McEwen by January 13th at 5 pm. You will be asked to provide a second choice if your first choice article has already been selected by another group or was used in HSC I.
- Read the article prior to submitting your choice. Article selection is an important skill.
- See Professor McEwen's short lecture video for more assignment details.
- Course directors and small group leaders give final approval for articles submitted.
- The expectation is that your group's performance will improve.
- Group members are expected to choose another section to present from what they presented in the HSC I journal club presentation. If you presented the introduction section in HSC I, choose another section (the methods, results, etc.) for the HSC IV presentation.
- Expectations of student performance compared to the HSC I Journal Club Presentation:
- You will be expected to provide greater detail in your presentation to the statistics in the article.
- You will be expected to apply your knowledge gained from your basic science courses and POMS I.
- You will be expected to better apply the research to clinical practice.