Article Requirement (1 Point)
- Utilized 1 research article and 1 review article
Quality of Writing (5 Points)
- No or few spelling and punctuations errors
- No or few grammatical errors
- Writing was organized, clear, and concise
- Paper is 4-5 pages in length
- Writing is graduate level in mechanics and quality
Introduction (4 Points)
- Objective of paper is clearly defined
- Background information on disease/condition has been included.
- Statistical information about the disease/condition provided (such as incidence, prevalence, etc.)
- Background information on the two drugs or treatments is provided (including information about how the drugs or treatments differ from one another). For a healthcare underserved topic, background information is provided on the programs/interventions and information on what has been attempted in the past.
Research Article (16 Points)
- Objective of study provided
- Hypothesis of study given
- Clinical research design of the study described
- Type of blinding
- Funding source
- Sample size provided
- Country in which research was performed
- Article's Level of Evidence
- Inclusion/exclusion criteria provided
- All primary outcomes and important secondary outcomes provided
- Methods described
- Results described
- Student listed statistical tests utilized in the study
- Important statistical results discussed
- Possible author biases were considered.
- Conclusions of authors summarized
Discussion (12 points: 2 points each - Student may receive 2 or 0 points for each component.)
- Research article critiqued
- Strengths and weaknesses given
- Importance of the topic to medicine/pharmacy
- POEM or DOE
- Apply results to clinical practice. Are there other factors that may influence the choice of one or both of these drugs/treatments/programs/interventions?
- Future trends in medicine/pharmacy
Literature Cited Section (4 points: 2 points each)
- Literature properly cited with the text of the paper
- Literature properly cited using the National Library of Medicine style within the literature cited section of the paper.
Self-directed Learning (3 points): (Faculty must provide comments for this section.)
- Student assessed their learning needs and determined a plan to meet those needs.
- Student listed the professional resources (primary, secondary, or tertiary) that were utilized to answer the clinical question. Student analyzed and synthesized relevant information from these resources.
- Student appraised the credibility of the information resources.
Pass / Fail
Need 36 out of 40 points (80%) to pass the assignment.