Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Statistics Calculation Tutoring Sessions
- November 13th from 5:00 - 7:00 pm. See the Learning Center AIMS site for more information.
- November 16th from 12-1 pm. See the Learning Center AIMS site for more information
EBM I Week 7 Session Guide
EVIDENCE BASED MEDICINE I
October 23, 2018
- Quiz 3 Review Session with Dr. Baughman - October 26th from 12-1 pm in the NEW Center Auditorium
- Exam Review session – During class on November 13th
- Faculty members have until December 1st to grade your literature review assignment. You will receive your graded rubric via e-mail.
- Quiz is on October 30, 2018.
- Exam is on November 20th
HOURS 1 and 2:
TOPIC: Diagnostic and Screening Tests Studies
FACULTY: Kristin Baughman, Ph.D.
AT THE END OF THE LECTURE, STUDENTS WILL BE ABLE TO:
- Describe structure of studies evaluating diagnostic tests
- List 3 steps of appraising a diagnostic testing study
- Evaluate validity of a diagnostic testing study
- Evaluate the accuracy of a diagnostic test
- Calculate sensitivity, specificity, positive and negative predictive values of a test
- Describe difference between ruling in and ruling out disease
- Describe how the prevalence of a disease affects a test’s accuracy
- Describe how serial and parallel testing affects accuracy
- Distinguish between screening and diagnostic testing
- Describe the benefits and risks of screening tests
BRING TO CLASS: Your laptop and clicker
- Quiz next week – Quiz covers Dr. Baughman’s lectures (10/16/18, 10/23/18)